Marine engineers work on the actual construction of huge shipping structures, vehicles maintenance of these structures used on or around water. Bachelor’s degree programs in Marine Engineering is the requirement to enter into this field. There are ample course to pursue, however not many know about these courses. This article attempts to throw light on the course and the career of this stream of education.
- The Marine Engineer aspirants must complete 12th with Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry with an aggregate of 60% Marks.
- The minimum age is 17 years and not more than 25 years of age and relaxation of 5 years for candidates from SC and ST categories.
- Good eyesight with no color blindness or any kind of visual impairment.
- No impairment in hearing and good dental health.
- Mentally stable.
- As such there are no gender restrictions, it is due to the inappropriate information and misconceptions that a lot of people think that there is a gender restriction.
- Indian citizenship, however, a few foreign candidates may receive special permission from the Ministry of Shipping.
Entrance Exams to pursue Marine Engineering at graduation level:
The list of entrance examinations to pursue a bachelors in Marine Engineering:
- MERI: Marine Engineering & Research Institute Entrance Exams
- IMU CET: Indian maritime University Common Entrance Test
- AICET: All India Common Entrance Test
- IIT JEE: IIT Joint Entrance Examination
- GATE: Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering
There are good employment opportunities as well. Marine engineers can be employed with the shipping industries, Ship manufacture industries, steel industry, and consultancy firm as well as education field. Marine Engineers design, construct and develop nautical equipment. Once after the B.Tech course is completed successfully, the engineers can get a job in public as well as private shipping companies, engine production firms, ship building and designing firms, navy, research bodies. One can get a job on the ship as third engineer. The ranks of a Marine engineer are Fifth, Fourth, Third, Second and Chief Engineer. The career is lucrative and the marine engineers can get placed with foreign as well as Indian ship manufacturing industries.